Often, biological parents have children they are unable to care for due to drug addiction, incarceration or other issues affecting their ability to parent. In such cases, it may be preferable to have a relative (like a grandparent) or someone close to the family (like close family friends or godparents) care for the child(ren) on a temporary or permanent basis.

An experienced adoption lawyer can help you to understand the differences between adoption and guardianship to come up with the best solution for your situation.